Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Visiting Slovenia and Meeting Essay Contest Winners


Slovenia is an enchanted place. I felt that from the very first visit when I first saw the dragons that protect the bridges in downtown Ljubljana. Later, when in Piran and standing outside a gorgeous cathedral and gazing off into the Adriatic Sea, I realized how fortunate I was to have the chance to visit the country.

This time, I visited five schools in Slovenia, all in towns away from Ljubljana. It was a pleasure to visit them, and to meet the winners of the essay contest on the ideas and themes contained in Good Deeds Society. The winners wrote very moving accounts, and their ideas about what they would if they were president of their school's Good Deeds Society were inspiring. I am hoping to obtain synopses of the essays and to share them with you. If you would like to see the photos, please visit my Flickr site: http://flickr.com/photos/beyondutopia/

Are you interested in visiting the blog of the Slovenian Good Deeds Society? The name in Slovene is Klub Dobrih Dejanj, and here's the website: http://www.forgetmenotbooks.com/KDD/

Alternatively, you can also simply type http://www.klubdobrihdejanc.com

Here's a map of Slovenia. Please take a look at Jesenice and Slovenj Gradec. Those were two of the places we visited. They were both very lovely -- and snowy! Of course, it is February, after all. The other towns I visited were near Novo Mesto, Cerknica, and Domzale (I believe). As you can see, I had a wonderful tour of Slovenia!

Please be sure to check back with the blog. I will describe the first school I visited (in Skocjan), and will provide photos.

In the meantime, please share your thoughts about good deeds.

No comments: